General Manager – Downtown Hotel – Dawson City
The Downtown Hotel, located in historic Dawson City, Yukon, is a partnership between Chief Isaac Inc. (CII) and Northern Vision Development LP (NVD).
Dawson City is vibrant community of 1500 people found 550 km north of the Yukon’s capital city of Whitehorse. In 1898, Dawson City gained notoriety as home of the Great Klondike Gold Rush and much of the town remains a Parks Canada Historic site, with a UNESCO World Heritage application in process. Dawson also boasts a rich First Nations heritage and culture, with Chief Isaac Inc. being the development corporation of the local Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in First Nation.
The Downtown Hotel is a newly renovated 59 room historic hotel famous for the “Sourtoe Cocktail” in the Sourdough Saloon. The hotel also has a busy restaurant, the Jack London Grill, and an 80 person meeting room. The summer is peak season with tourism and mining clients and festival business. Filling rooms in the long off season is a strategic goal for the company.
Reporting to the CEO’s, the General Manager’s primary responsibility is to manage and oversee the daily operations of the Downtown Hotel while growing revenues and profitability, improving the overall guest experience and maintaining a strong community reputation.
The ideal candidate will possess: a strong financial background, exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, ability to field media interviews and an appreciation of living in a small Northern community.
For more information on the Downtown Hotel and Dawson City, Yukon visit:
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward your application to email@example.com.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs the annual strategic planning process, operating budget and annual capital plans.
- Maximizes NOI through effective execution of sales and marketing plans, revenue management, customer service and effective cost controls.
- Analyzes property operations on a daily, weekly and monthly basis and updating Sr. Management NVD of the status, requirements needed.
- Researching appropriate purchasing contracts for best available price and quality.
- Effective deployment and efficient execution of capital expenditures.
- Responsible for the preparation, implementation and execution of forecasts, budgets and business cases/plans.
- Creates a strong service and operational excellence culture in the hotel
- Monitors cost controls, property condition, cleanliness and quality of product and service throughout the hotels.
- Promotes and encourages inter-departmental cooperation and communication to improve customer service and overall guest satisfaction.
- Evaluates and understands customer needs and strives for continual customer service improvements.
- Identifies and analyzes marketing/sales needs and develops effective short and long term strategies to meet changing needs of the hotel.
- Analyzes market research data to identify trends and opportunities to increase revenues and market share.
- Reviews and implements pricing strategies for group and transient segments, and catering.
- Maintains an active role in the community, civic and industry organizations.
- Provides direction, leadership, support and coaching to sales & catering team.
- Works with VP Marketing on marketing and sales strategies and programs that will result in the highest revenue growth and market share potential in their competitive set.
- Understands and believes in an agile business philosophy and redirects resources in response to changing business conditions
- Maximizes associate satisfaction through strong leadership and adherence to Hotel Brand and human resources policies and practices.
- Ensures the hotel is operating in full compliance with all legislated employment standards, guidelines and human rights codes.
- Coaches, guides and administers the progressive discipline process with the Hotel Managers and Supervisors and ensures Personal Performance Review evaluations are completed accurately and on time.
- Leads Management Committee meetings
- Develops implements and monitors professional people systems, processes, and procedures that will result in the highest customer and associate satisfaction.
- Accepts and directs the growth of our human capital.
Required Experience, Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-Secondary education in business administration, marketing or related field or an acceptable combination of education/training and/or experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a hotel management capacity.
- Exhibits the highest level of integrity, sound judgment, resourcefulness, management and confidence.
- Solid financial skills/experience, including revenue management, inventory management, hotel management systems, understanding of budgets, profit and loss management, accounting and reporting.
- Demonstrates superior written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning and implementing skills.
- Skillful in managing high tension situations with diplomacy, tact and patience.
- Excellent investigative, analytical, problem-solving and strategic skills.
- Flexible and able to respond to complex, unique and complicated situations.
- Proven leadership skills that exemplify effective interaction with employees in order to improve direct work flow, assess performance and assign duties.